Phillips Industries Celebrates 90 Years of Innovation
Las Vegas, NV (January 22, 2018) Phillips Industries embarks on a year-long celebration of their 90th year in business with a press conference today during Heavy Duty Aftermarket Week (HDAW) 18.
Rob Phillips, president and COO, detailed historical milestones and cultural principles important to the formation and development of the company into the premier innovator of commercial vehicle electrical and air brake components and global supplier that it is today.
Rob Phillips emphasized that throughout our history, Phillips Industries has focused on listening to our customers as well as to our employees because both are critical to our success. Were a 4th generation family business that strives for quality in absolutely everything we do – its the only way weve gotten to where we are today.
From its beginning in 1928, as a Los Angeles auto and truck parts distributor, to a global business, manufacturing and distributing over 8,000 products in more than 40 countries, Phillips Industries has stayed true to the family values of taking care of customers and employees, a can-do solve it attitude for any problem, determination and reinvesting in the business.
Phillips Industries operates three manufacturing facilities, in California, Mexico and China staffed with more than 1,000 employees. Today, some facts about Phillips Industries:
- Every truck that is manufactured in North America has Phillips products on it.
- Mercedes trucks manufactured in Europe are standard with Phillips products.
- Over 55% of North American produced trailers are shipped with Phillips components.
- The largest trailer manufacturer in China uses Phillips harnesses as their standard.
- 1928 H.W. Phillips began as an auto and truck parts distributor in California.
- 1936 Hugh Phillips designed and patented the first reflective directional signal arm for trucks.
- 1968 Straight 7-way electrical assemblies were manufactured and introduced by Phillips Industries.
- 1976 Bob Phillips, currently CEO, designed the SUPERCOIL, the industrys first 7-way coiled electrical assembly in North America.
- 1982 Phillips introduces STA-DRY® weather-proof socketbreakers to fight corrosion, soon to become the standard at major trailer OEMs.
- 1985 The distribution business was sold to focus on manufacturing due to increased demand from fleets and OEMs.
- 1991 Phillips acquired and opened an Electrical Harness Division (EHD) dedicated to manufacturing sealed modular trailer harness systems. EHD would expand in production relocating twice in the next 20 years to accommodate its growth.
- 1999 New 130,000 square foot headquarters and manufacturing facility is constructed in Santa Fe Springs, California.
- 2001 The QCS® (Quick-Change Socket) becomes standard at 80% of North American truck OEMs.
- 2010 Phillips Industries begins production of 12v and 24v products in China for the global trucking market.
- 2013 Rob Phillips takes the helm of Phillips Industries.
- 2013 The STA-DRY® QCMS2 is introduced as the industrys first 7-way electrical assembly with a plug and socket hybrid connection.
- 2014 – PERMALITE XT lighting with BOARDFREE® technology is introduced.**
- 2015 The Electrical Harness Division (EHD) moves to its current location in Arteaga, Mexico on Avenida Bob Phillips.
- 2016 Phillips China moves to new 8.5-acre site.
- 2017 A new division, Phillips Connect Technologies (PCT), emerges with the advancement of technology, to develop solutions for future intelligent commercial vehicles.
While were exceedingly proud of our history, were even more excited about our future declared Phillips. We are not going to concede our position simply because the commercial vehicle industry is changing. Weve identified, through listening to our fleet contacts as well as other component suppliers, what the future needs are for communicating and analyzing the data generated through the increasing number of sensors in a user-friendly way. PCT is working today with fleets to fully develop and launch this new capability. Stay tuned.
As part of the 90th year celebration, Phillips is rolling out a number of videos with Bob Phillips talking about the history of the company*.
Some key milestones in the 90-year history of Phillips Industries:
Please visit us at www.phillipsind.com to learn how Phillips products can make a difference in your operation.
**PERMALITE XT lighting is manufactured for exclusive distribution by Phillips Industries A California Corporation
About Phillips Industries:
Based in Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA Phillips Industries is a leading innovator and manufacturer of advanced electrical and air brake system components, as well as electronic solutions for communicating vehicle data to fleets and their drivers for the commercial truck and trailer industry. Phillips products are standard on nearly 100% of Class 8 trucks, more than 50% of all trailers manufactured in North America, and can be purchased at virtually all premium distributors. Phillips has manufacturing and distribution facilities throughout the US and Canada, as well as Mexico, China, and Europe. Phillips maintains active membership in key industry associations including TMC, SAE, Heavy Duty Manufacturing Association and various state trucking associations. Their manufacturing facilities have earned the top-quality accreditations including ISO/TS 16949 and ISO 14001 as well as multiple prestigious customer awards from Daimler, NAPA, and many others.