Tampa, FL (February 8, 2010) During a press conference held today at TMC’s 2010 Annual Meeting and Technology Exhibition in Tampa, FL Phillips Industries demonstrated how their new PERMALOGIC™ Selector System solves a problem facing many fleets operating trailers equipped with reefers and liftgates: Fleets that deliver products in a metropolitan environment requiring numerous liftgate cycles have limited charging time for the liftgate batteries, leading to non-working liftgates and expensive service calls. These trucks rarely run at highway speeds for more than a short period of time preventing the alternator from sufficiently re-charging the batteries. The problem is compounded with new anti-idling laws because the liftgate can only use power from the liftgate battery. Fleets are adopting this technology as they learn how it can keep their liftgates operating throughout the vehicle’s scheduled delivery cycle to meet customer demands and reduce maintenance costs.
Bruce Purkey, President of Purkey’s Electrical Consulting, Inc., who assisted Phillips Industries in developing the PERMALOGIC™ Selector System, gave an actual hands-on demonstration of how the system works under specific circumstances.
· If tractor batteries are greater than 12.2v, the Trail Charger is powered via the dual pole system from the tractor
· If tractor batteries are less than 12.2V and the reefer battery is greater than 13.2V, the Selector automatically switches the Trail Charger to be powered from the reefer
· If tractor batteries are less than 12.2V AND the reefer battery is less than 13.2V, the liftgate batteries will not be charged until the reefer system starts up or the tractor is started
Phillips PERMALOGIC™ Selector System is the first system to select between the tractor or reefer power with no driver intervention to provide power to the trail charger to charge the lift gate batteries. Features of the PERMALOGIC™ Selector System:
· Charges the liftgate batteries whether the trailer is hooked up to a truck, or sitting idle.
· Maximizes the charging time to the liftgate batteries for heavy cycle liftgates
· Provides a 14.4V, 20 amp charge to liftgate batteries, charging them to FULL capacity.
· Requires no driver intervention – it is completely automated
· Ensures liftgate batteries will have enough capacity to unload a trailer without failure.
· The system can be connected to a trailer with an existing trail charger by simply disconnecting from the 7-way and connecting to the Selector System
· LED diagnostic indicator allowing the driver to check tractor charge status, reefer charge status and dome lamp status
· Available with Dome Lamp Shut Off Control
· Prevents drivers from leaving dome lamps on by using the same technology as the PERMALOGIC™ to shut off dome lights when the brake pedal is engaged
Phillips Industries will be demonstrating how the PERMALOGIC™ Selector System provides power to the trail charger to keep lift gate batteries charged at their exhibit booth (#836) throughout the Technology Exhibition.
Please visit us at www.phillipsind.com to learn how Phillips products can make a difference in your operation.
Based in Santa Fe Springs, CA Phillips Industries is a leading supplier, innovator and manufacturer of advanced electrical and air brake interface equipment for the commercial vehicle industry. Phillips is a major participant in industry associations including TMC, SAE, Heavy Duty Manufacturers Association and state trucking associations. Phillips Industries Commercial Vehicle Products Santa Fe Springs facility is accredited to ISO 9001, TS 16949 and ISO 14001. Phillips Industries has manufacturing and distribution facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada as well as in Mexico and China.