Senior Accounting Manager
WHY WORK HERE?
Opportunity for Growth – Team Atmosphere – Great Culture
GET TO KNOW US
We’re Driven to Move You. For nearly 100 years, our industry-leading products and solutions have provided the support that keeps businesses moving. As a global leader in innovation, we take a customer-first approach to innovation, design and manufacturing of solutions for the trucking industry. Through a wide variety of commercial trucking products, Phillips proudly serves OEM’s as well as the aftermarket.
Our success is powered by team members who embrace the challenges of meeting our goals and exceeding the standards set by the industry. In our pursuit of a better future, we refuse to settle.
As a 4th generation family-owned business, Phillips Industries has created a culture where people feel empowered to make a difference. Encouraged to share new ideas, collaborate with other team members as well as customers and partners, we are not afraid to take risks and fail in our push to continuously learn new and develop new skills.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Senior Accountant is responsible for accurate General Accounting functions as well as other Ad hoc assignments. The position requires collaboration with a multitude of professionals internal and external to the Company.
- Responsible for preparing and posting standard Journal Entries.
- Assist in posting journal entries prepared by others on the accounting team
- Update and analyze general ledger accounts including intercompany transactions
- Maintain accuracy of sub-ledger reports and analyze large transaction volume to problem solve variances that arise
- Assist in account variance analysis during month-end and when requested by managers
- Maintain accurate cash reconciliations and cash reporting
- Audit employee expense reports prior to final processing
- Assist in department requests from external parties (bank reviewers, financial statement, auditors, insurance brokers).
- Assist in preparing and distributing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually department deliverables
- Update quarterly reporting files for covenant and census reporting
- Assist in the implementation and ongoing maintenance of increased efficiency projects including but not limited to Concur Invoice and automated cash reconciliation
- Perform AP functions for the CORP business unit
- Generate accrual reports to close AP functions monthly
- Perform other ad hoc assignments as requested or assigned
LEADERSHIP & SUPERVISION
- Manage logistics team day-to-day. Provide leadership and supervision needed to consistently deliver World-Class service to internal and external customers.
- Motivate, coach and train dispatchers and drivers to exceed customer commitments and expectations as well as to comply with standard logistical processes.
- Staff each position adequately based on skills and workload. Schedule all drivers and dispatchers and maintain accurate and up-to-date time & attendance records. Approve all absence requests based on workload and coverage imperatives throughout metro area. Implement strategies to optimize staffing levels/skills and deliver World-Class service.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent data entry skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Ability to navigate ERP systems with confidence
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and procedures
- Knowledge of AP/AR functions is preferred
- Knowledge of global supply chain import/export
- Knowledge of office practices and clerical/accounting procedures
- Knowledge of Syteline (Symix) and/or EPICOR ERP systems is a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite with strong Excel skills (including commonly used formulas such as VLOOKUP, SUMIF, PIVOT etc.)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to move about the inside and outside of the location to access office equipment, outside machinery, etc. The person in this position frequently communicates with employees and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Constantly operates a computer and other office machinery, such as a computer, copy machine, etc. The employee must frequently move equipment weighing up to 50 pounds
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Accounting is required
- 5+ years of accounting experience required
- 3+ years in Manufacturing is strongly preferred
- CPA eligible or in progress is a plus
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We make hiring and other employment related decisions based on qualifications, merit, and business need and without regard to race, color, age (except as required to comply with applicable laws), religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic partner status, ancestry, national origin, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable laws and regulations. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.