John Jacobs Celebrates 30th Anniversary with Phillips Industries
Santa Fe Springs, CA (January 7, 2014) In 2013 John Jacobs, Vice President of Engineering celebrated his 30th anniversary with Phillips Industries. John started his career in the trucking industry in 1965 and is a well-respected member of the engineering community actively participating in the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Technology Maintenance Council (TMC), Fleet Forum, the American Trucking Association and Intermodal Association of North America (IANA).
John has been instrumental in designing and developing virtually all of the major new products introduced by Phillips since he joined the company. He holds ten patents for products that have solved problems facing truck fleet operators including:
• QWIK-E® Gladhands that cut brake release time in half with quick release valve and gladhand combined reduces lining and drum wear. Today Phillips QWIK-E® Gladhands are standard equipment on most OEM trailers.
• PERMALOGIC™ SELECTOR SYSTEM™, winner of HDT's Top 20 Product Award for 2010, is an intelligent controller that chooses the optimal source of power to fully charge liftgate batteries without the risk of draining power needed for other vital equipment functions.
• QCMS™ plug/socket designed by Jacobs to eliminate the corrosion damage caused when road contaminants enter the electrical system of a heavy duty vehicle.
• QCP™, named one of the best products for 2005 when it was introduced, reduces the time to change an electrical assembly from twenty minutes to less than two, plus saving the cost of an additional electrical assembly.
• STA-DRY® S7™ swivel socket technology– the latest patent from Jacobs solves a problem facing tractor/trailer combinations maneuvering in a tight space allowing the air and electrical lines to move with the trailer, avoiding damage.
Recognizing John's contribution to the success of Phillips Industries Bob Phillips, President commented "Our product development is driven by finding solutions to fleet problems and John intuitively knows what needs to be done. He can take a problem communicated by a fleet and sketch an idea to solve it on anything available, and then he can fine tune the design into a product that successfully performs in the field. He is a mentor to our new engineers instilling a can-do approach to problems. We're glad he's spent most of his career with us."
John immigrated to the United States from Amsterdam with his wife Mary in the 1960's settling in Southern California where he took his first job in the truck/trailer industry as an engineer with a small aluminum trailer body manufacturer. He subsequently spent some time with a chassis manufacturer and immediately prior to joining Phillips Industries he was senior engineer at Utility Trailer Manufacturing Company. John and Mary, married fifty-three years, have five children, eight grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Please visit us at www.phillipsind.com to learn how Phillips products can make a difference in your operation.
About Phillips Industries
Based in Santa Fe Springs, CA, USA Phillips Industries is a leading innovator and manufacturer of advanced electrical and air brake interface equipment for the commercial vehicle industry. Phillips is a major supplier and partner to many top OEMs around the world and is a first choice for top fleets. They have manufacturing and distribution facilities throughout the U.S. and Canada as well as in Mexico, China and The Netherlands. Phillips maintains active memberships in key industry associations including TMC, SAE, Heavy Duty Manufacturers Association and state trucking associations. Their manufacturing facilities have received the top quality accreditations including ISO 9001, TS 16949 and ISO 14001.